The Qur’an can be defined as follow:
The speech of Allah,
Sent down upon the last Prophet Muhammad, through the Angel Gabriel, in its precise meaning and precise wording, transmitted to us by numerous persons (tawatur), both verbally and in writing.
Inimitable and unique, protected by Allah from corruption.
WHAT IS MEANT BY JAM’ AL-QUR’AN
The general meaning of jam’ al-Qur’an is to ‘bring together the Qur’an’. This was done and has to be understood in two ways :
i) Bringing together the Qur’an orally, or in one’s mind (hifz)
ii) Bringing together the Qur’an in written form, or on sheets, or in a book.
Jam’ al-Qur’an therefore, has various meaning :
- To learn the Qur’an by heart
- To write down every revelation
- To bring together those materials upon which the Qur’an has been written
- To bring together the reports of people who have memorised the Qur’an
- To bring together all such sources, both oral and written